21 Tips: How to Prepare for A Boudoir Photo Shoot
keys to a successful photoshoot
What’s the key to a successful boudoir photo shoot? Preparing yourself from head-to-toe!
Here’s your insider guide to the top 21 things you need to do to prepare for your boudoir photo shoot.
(For our local LA and Orange County readers — we’ve listed store and salon links just for you. Enjoy!)
Give your feet and hands some love.
Your hands and feet will be visible in most of your boudoir shots, so it’s important to get them camera ready. Consider pampering yourself with a mani-pedi a few days before your photo shoot date.
- What’s the best polish shade to use? One that matches with all your lingerie outfits. Using the same color on your fingernails and toenails is always a timeless look.
- If you want a bolder look a classic red tone adds a fierce and timeless touch to your overall boudoir look.
- Want a more muted polish color that goes with everything? Choose one that’s light pink, beige, clear or slightly tinted. You can make them more interesting by choosing these colors with some extra-shiny glitter, or get a French manicure.
- Make sure the bottoms of your feet are clean; they will show in some of your photos.
- Images Luxury Nail Salon Lounge is one the top nail salons with a number of locations in the Los Angeles Area and Orange County including Irvine and Newport Beach. You can get a mani/pedi and also any waxing you may want prior to your boudoir shoot. Depending on your personality and budget, they even have luxury packages that include real diamonds and gold for your manicure!
Pamper your skin
- Drink lots of water leading up to your photo shoot and stay hydrated. Hydrated skin is happy skin.
- Use your favorite face lotion the day of your photo shoot to keep your skin looking fresh and dewy.
- Are you using our stylist (yay!). Wash your face and come to the studio make-up free. We’ll take care of the rest.
- Wear your comfiest loose, baggy clothes to the studio . Otherwise, your bra, panty, and socks can leave weird lines on your skin.
- Shave your legs, underarms, and bikini line the morning of your session. If you wax, schedule your photography session at least 3-5 days after waxing.
Tanning-Get that Sexy Skin Glowing for you!
- All skin tones are beautiful! Tanning is not required for mind blowing boudoir photos. It’s all about personal preference and whatever makes you feel fantastic!
- If you like that sun-kissed look, then we recommend sticking to tanning methods that you are familiar with – the last thing you want is to end up having a weird reaction to any sprays or lotions.
- If you prefer the tanning beds, talk to the salon about what beds and time lengths would work best for your skin type — you want to avoid any redness or burning.
- For airbrushed tans in Los Angeles and Orange County, Sugared and Bronzed has fabulous reviews about looking natural and flawless after their airbrush tan sessions. According to their website, “It should last for the minimum of a week and has the potential to last as long as two weeks”
- Spray tanning your face results in blotchy patches – so limit spray tanning to your body. If you have purchased styling through us, our professional stylists are fabulous at customizing foundation for your skin color.
Liven up your sexy hair!
- Get your hair trimmed, toned and touched up. Don’t let those stray greys storm on your photo session. If you’re coloring your hair, stick to a color that you know you’ll love! You want to feel like yourself throughout your photoshoot so keep this in mind when visiting the hair salon.
- Arrive to the studio with fully dry hair. We block out 90 minutes for your hair and makeup styling.
- If you’re using our stylists, arrive to the studio with clean hair and no products in it.
- If you have stubborn hair that does not hold curls or volume, you can wash your hair one full day before your photoshoot. Use volumizing shampoo. If it is really stubborn, you can actually use volumizing mousse when blow drying your hair. Do not use any other products before arriving at the studio to avoid a greasy or flaky look.
- Recently, we have had clients inquire about their hair length when booking. They have found that most boudoir images they see are of women with long hair. Don’t let this doubt your own personal hair style! Shorter hair makes it fun for us to show off more of your gorgeous body in almost any pose.
Get your lingerie camera-ready
- Check your outfits for tags and cut them off. You don’t want them to show in your photos.
- Keep your lingerie wrinkle-free by bringing every outfit on its own hanger.
- Looking for a list of online and local LA/Orange County lingerie stores? Check this out!
Karen took me step by step through the photo shoot and made me feel glamorous and excited for the outcome. Viewed the edited photos not even a week later and couldn’t believe how spectacular they looked!
Ashley B., Westminster, CA
This was such a liberating, exhilarating, and fun confidence boost! Hair and makeup were expertly done. Karen was gentle, yet made sure I was put in places that were a bit out of my comfort zone! All of this led to gorgeous photos that I cannot wait to share! I felt at ease and very sexy! Highly recommend!
Blair B., Santa Ana, CA
Karen is a-ma-zing. As you can see by her photos, she is a true artist and her training as a fashion photographer really sets her photos apart from other boudoir photos you can find with a quick Google search.
Jen W., Los Angeles, CA
I interviewed several boudoir photographers. They all offered something special, but Karen offered not only years of experience and talent, but also comfort and wardrobe knowledge.
Jeanine L., Huntington Beach, CA